The field of education has undergone significant changes over the span of last few years. As a result, a career in designing has gained equivalent popularity and scope in comparison to other conventional courses such as engineering and medicine. To define more formally, ‘fashion designing’ is the art and the science of deploying concepts of design and technology in order to create accessories and clothing. And, students going in for designing courses may not lack work opportunities as the modern society has become very style conscious.
Fashion Designing Courses after 10th
Students interested in pursuing fashion designing right after class 10th have the options of either choosing Diploma or Certificate Courses. However, it should be highlighted that reputed design institutes in India have 10 + 2 as a minimum qualification for admissions. On top of that, Bachelor’s Degree programs are more valuable and preferable in the job market in contrast to Diploma or Certificate programs.
Fashion Designing Courses after 12th
A Bachelor’s Program in fashion designing, after finishing school, usually lasts for 3 years. There are some programs that may stretch up to 4 years. Irrespective of the duration, students should be well-prepared with creativity, artistic ability, visual imagination and drawing skills. Therefore, some students may like to go in for training before appearing for entrance examinations (e.g. NIFT Entrance exam and Pearl Academy Entrance Exam). Well, nothing can beat a personal knack for fashion and style!
Best Fashion Designing Colleges in India
· RICA- Ruchi’s Institute of Creative Arts
· Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology (Bangalore)
· Amity School of Fashion Technology
· Symbiosis Institute of Design (Pune)
· JD Birla Institute (Kolkata)
· National Institute of Design
· International Institute of Fashion Technology
· Arch College of Design and Business (Jaipur)
· MIT Institute of Design (Pune)
· JD Institute of Fashion Technology (Mumbai)
Top Fashion Design Colleges in India
Here are the top 10 Fashion Designing Colleges of India (2018):-
1. National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), New Delhi
2. National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Mumbai
3. Pearl Academy of Fashion, Delhi and Jaipur
4. RICA- Ruchi’s Institute of Creative Arts
5. National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Chennai
6. National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Patna
7. Symbiosis Institute of Design (SID), Pune
8. Amity School of Fashion Technology, Noida
9. Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore
10. Northern India Institute of Fashion Technology (NIIFT), Mohali
Fashion Design Careers
After obtaining a fashion designer’s qualification, there are a plethora of career opportunities and unlike the common perception, a designer can work in various fields. Examples include accessories design, leather and jewelry industry. However, certain things should be borne in mind such as working hours can definitely stretch longer than a 9-to-5 job and the initial starting salary could be quite less as compared to the investment that might have gone into the course. Some people like to do freelancing and consistently either open boutiques or work as a fashion blogger. This allows flexibility in the beginning.
Get on the exciting journey on fashion as there is plenty to explore!